Yesterday I published my first open source project, FeedFly. FeedFly was the focus of my senior project course last semester. This class is required to graduate with a bachelor in Computer Science at my university.
We were given the choice to write any kind of software application, but it had to get enough votes in order to form a team. I was lucky since my idea got a couple votes. About 300 man hours later, we gave our final presentation and I nervously gave a demo. Besides ActiveSync messing with my device, the demo was fine. I had to leave it on, since I was relying on it for my data connection. The room we were presenting in was like a steel box with no windows.
Including myself, we were a team of 3 programmers. I attempted to manage the timeline of the project using a modified version of Scrum. It was as effective as it could be given we couldn't do daily stand-ups. Plus, it made the Gannt chart something very easy to look at:
This chart shows our 1 week architecture sprint at the beginning, 3 2-week development sprints, and a 1-week documentation and presentation sprint. However, generating the schedule wasn't easy. I had to enter our weird college work hours and account for our school holidays for Microsoft Project to get the end date just right.
I'm very happy with how FeedFly turned out. If I wasn't, it wouldn't have been published as an open source project. I learned a lot about the .NET Compact Framework during development, and I think the project serves as a good example application that implements some best practices. If you're a compact framework developer, I'd love to get your feedback about it.
Oh, and I got an A on the project by the way.